|Identify by Year|
|Locate/Purchase Search techniques for locating a Model A|
|Insure List of insurance companies|
|Start/Drive How to start and drive a Model A. Includes dbl clutching.|
Roadside Trouble Systematic trouble shooting why the "A" will not start.
|Ignition Inspect, time, and learn how it works.|
|Carburetion Learn how it works. Plus rebuild tips by Tom Endy.|
|Brakes Utube Video|
|Tire How to remove the tire skin from the rim.. (modelAbasics video)|
|Accessories Advertised accessories, parts, & tools from 1928 thru 1931|
Links Anything and Everything Model A. (Maintained by Steve Plucker on the Fordbarn)
Sooner Model A Club
"The GAV knob (gas adjusting valve), opens and closes a little valve inside the carburetor that ports fuel direct to the cap jet, bypassing the comp jet and secondary well. Its function is to richen the gas mixture. You will get better mileage the more it is closed, however, the more it is closed the leaner is the mixture and you have less power. Most cars run well with it 1\4 to 1\2 turn open. If you are climbing a steep grade and the engine starts to ping one usually retards the spark slightly and opens the GAV a little more. Anything more than a full turn open and the valve is completely open." Tom Endy
Before Driving Preliminaries
• Check water level of radiator
• Check oil level
• Turn on cut off switch, if equipped. (A cut off switch is an after-market safety device. It cuts off all electrical power to the vehicle when not in use. I highly recommended the cut off switch for non-point cars.)
|Steps To Start Your Model 'A'|
• Make sure parking brake is on
(pulled towards you) Note: with earlier
models the parking brake is on the
left hand side of the driver.
I would like to thank Stephen Foskett (Wikipedia User: sfoskett) for sharing his original photograph and allowing it to be edited.
• Pull throttle lever
1/3 down (Lever on the right of the steering column.) The
lever also acts upon the accelerator pedal on the floor. Note: The throttle
lever starts to open the throttle at 3:00 on a clock. To start I set
my lever at/or about 4:00)
As Soon As It Starts
| 1. The Model A has just been started.
2. Apply the foot brake.
3. Release the parking brake.
4. Disengage the clutch (push down).
5. Move the shift lever to the left and back for first gear.
6. Let up on brake
7. Gradually release clutch and lightly accelerate at the same time.
8. When the car has reached a speed of approximately 10 MPH, push in the clutch, shift into neutral, let the clutch out, put clutch back
in, shift to 2nd, let clutch
out. (takes about "one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand",
not rushing the count.)
To down shift from third to second: Disengage (push in) the clutch, shift to neutral, reengage (let up) the clutch and rev the engine; then disengage the clutch again and shift to second, after which reengage the clutch. Basically: "clutch-neutral-clutch-rev-clutch-shift"... fairly quick.